Pink Shirts & Pariahs: Anti-Bullying Discourse in the CMHR
By Jade DeFehr*
The popular anti-bullying campaign, Pink Shirt Day, has spread throughout Canadian schools over the past decade, with students and teachers collectively wearing pink one day a year. I propose that we shift our language and approach from anti-bullying to anti-oppression in order to expose the intimate effects of power relations and to uproot the multiple, intersecting dynamics that often lead to bullying.
Click here to read the audio guide script.
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights. CMHR. Mobile app. Tristan Interactive Inc. Vers. 1.9. Apple App Store.
- Hunt, Sarah, and Cindy Holmes. “Everyday Decolonization: Living a Decolonizing Queer Politics.” Journal of Lesbian Studies, vol. 19, no. 2, 2015, pp. 154–72.
- “The International Day of Pink.” Day of Pink, Day of Pink.
- “Leading a Colourful Campaign.” Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg.
- Meyer, Doug. “The Gentle Neoliberalism of Modern Anti-Bullying Texts: Surveillance, Intervention, and Bystanders in Contemporary Bullying Discourse.” Sexuality Research and Social Policy, vol. 13, no. 4, 27 May 2016, pp. 356–70.
- “Our Mission.” Pink Shirt Day. 13 Feb. 2018.
- Pink Shirt Day, Pink Shirt Day. 13 Feb. 2018.
- Ritchie, Nicole Anne. “Queering Museums: Questions of Space, Affect, and the (Non)Normative.” University of Toronto, 2015.
- Robert, Nicole. “Getting Intersectional in Museums.” Museums & Social Issues, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014, pp. 24–33.
- Tyburczy, Jennifer. “All Museums Are Sex Museums.” Sex Museums: The Politics and Performance of Display, Uof Chicago P, 2016, pp. 1–37.
- Vaid-Menon, Alok. “Femme in Public.” 14 Mar. 2018, Winnipeg, The Park Theatre.
- Vaid-Menon, Alok. “The Loneliness of Being Yourself.” ALOK, 3 Jan. 2018.
Voice: Jade DeFehr
- “backgroundmusic1.wav” by Julia Dyck.
- “Childrens’ Classroom.” Freesound, uploaded by abcopen, 2 October 2012, https://freesound.org/people/abcopen/sounds/166207/.
- “Chalk on Chalkboard.” Freesound, uploaded by fattirewhitey, 24 February 2015, https://freesound.org/people/fattirewhitey/sounds/264944/.
- “Kids chatter Primary School Birmingham UK.” Freesound, uploaded by sbyandiji, 5 February 2014, https://freesound.org/people/sbyandiji/sounds/217491/.
- “School bell.” Freesound, uploaded by 13FPanska_Stranska_Michaela, 29 January 2017, https://freesound.org/people/13FPanska_Stranska_Michaela/sounds/378394/.
This image, taken by Jade DeFehr, is of the “Leading a Colourful Campaign” exhibit in the gallery Actions Count.
Click here to return to the main page to see the other audio guides.
*Imagined, designed, recorded, and edited by Jade DeFehr. Mastered by Julia Dyck.