Homonationalism and the Happy Migrant: Queer Refugee Representation at the CMHR
By Jane Shulman*
At the CMHR, Canada is presented as a welcoming, safe haven for queer refugees. It appears that the journey from refugee to settled member of Canadian society is smooth and fully supported. In my audio guide, I speculate about the reasons that a singularly positive queer refugee narrative is favoured. I suggest how the museum could expand its exhibits to provide a wider representation of queer refugee experiences.
Click here to read the audio guide script.
- Arsham’s Story. Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, MB. Film. Accessed 28 Jan. 2018.
- Awwad, Julian, “Queer Regulation and the Homonational Rhetoric of Canadian Exceptionalism.” Disrupting Queer Inclusion: Canadian Homonationalisms and the Politics of Belonging, edited by OmiSoore H. Dryden and Suzanne Lenon, UBC Press, 2015, pp. 19-34.
- de Szegheo-Lang, Naomi, “Disruptive Desires: Reframing Sexual Space at the Feminist Porn Awards.” Disrupting Queer Inclusion: Canadian Homonationalisms and the Politics of Belonging, edited by OmiSoore H. Dryden and Suzanne Lenon, UBC Press, 2015, pp. 66-81.
- Lee, Edward Ou Jin, and Shari Brotman. “Identity, Refugeeness, Belonging: Experiences of Sexual Minority Refugees in Canada.” Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie 48.3 (2011): 241-274.
- Murray, David AB. “The (Not So) Straight Story: Queering Migration Narratives of Sexual Orientation and Gendered Identity Refugee Claimants.” Sexualities, vol. 17, no. 4, 2014, pp. 451-471.
- Puar, Jasbir K. Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times. Duke University Press, 2007.
- “Queer refugee advocate says Canada is neglecting LGBT refugees in Turkey.” CBC, 8 Feb. 2017. Accessed 11 Feb. 2018.
- “Refugees struggle to find employment in Manitoba.” CBC, 29 Dec. 2017. Accessed 11 Feb. 2018.
- Visitor Guide. Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, MB. Booklet. Accessed 28 Jan. 2018.
Voice: Jane Shulman
- “Door Slams > Door Slam 2.” Freesound, uploaded by bennstir, 1 October 2009, https://freesound.org/people/bennstir/sounds/80929/.
- “Street Parade » Halloween Parade 2013 – Bloor Street Toronto.” Freesound, uploaded by masonbach, 27 October 2013, https://freesound.org/people/masonbach/sounds/204107/.
- “increasing dramas » patience 1Q31b.” Freesound, uploaded by Setuniman, 18 January 2018, https://freesound.org/people/Setuniman/sounds/415811/.
Trudeau Toronto Pride July 3, 2016, Photo credit: Mark Blinch, The Canadian Press.
Click here to return to the main page to see the other audio guides.
*Imagined, designed, recorded, and edited by Jane Shulman. Mastered by Julia Dyck.